On May 24, China General Chamber of Commerce–U.S.A. (CGCC) hosted its 2017 third “Lunch & Learn” event of “Brand Reputation Management and Crisis Communication in the U.S.” at the New York office.
Global President and Managing Partner of BLJ Worldwide Mike Holtzman, Director of Xinhua News Agency North America Zhou Xiaozheng and Editor-in-Chief, President of China Daily USA Ji Tao joined the event as guest speakers. Over 50 representatives from CGCC member companies attended.
Mike Holtzman introduced how to conduct brand management and crisis communication and emphasized the timing of such communication. He highlighted the importance of trained spokespersons and suggested that they should receive media training and possess the necessary skill sets for public relations.
Global President and Managing Partner of BLJ Worldwide Mike Holtzman
Director of Xinhua News Agency North America Zhou Xiaozheng
Ji briefly noted that both Chinese companies in the US and their PR companies should work more closely with Chinese media in the US, be aware of cultural differences in overseas markets, and make sure to deliver messages that make sense to targeted audiences and markets. He also encouraged Chinese companies to be innovative and leverage China’s improving image as both the world’s second largest economy and leader of innovation as a strong endorsement to help company thrive in the US.
Editor-in-Chief and President of China Daily USA Ji Tao
CGCC will make continued efforts to build bridge between U.S. and Chinese companies and the media, and support Chinese companies in the US to build up brand.
CGCC “Lunch & Learn” Series aims to provide a platform for CGCC member companies and partners to share industry insights. CGCC presents special thanks to BLJ Worldwide, Xinhua News Agency North America, China Daily USA and all passionate members and partners that joined the event. We welcome proposals for our future “Lunch & Learn” events! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for detailed information.
Here are a few recap notes of the event:
- “Communication is not an option. It is an imperative, in the realm of company brand management.”
- The timing of such communication matters. It is also important for company spokespersons to have received media training and possess necessary public relations skillsets.
- Be open-minded and proactive. Make good use of the media, especially major Chinese media outlets in the US.
- Deliver the right message. Focus on the US market and be aware of cultural differences.
- Go digital. In this digital era, it is crucial to be innovative and utilize the great power of new media to promote the company brand.
- China’s burgeoning image as not only the world’s second largest economy but also the leader of innovation should be leveraged by Chinese companies as a strong endorsement to help companies thrive in the US.